Electromagnetic needle tracking for ultrasound-guided nephrostomy
Roskilde Sygehus, Copenhagen University Hospital, Roskilde, Denmark
To assess retrospectively if nephrostomy guided by ultrasound (US) and electromagnetic needle tracking was feasible in mild to moderate hydronephrosis.
Utilities for nephrostomy
Disassembled electromagnetic needle – and assembled
MATERIALS & METHODS
Electromagnetic needle tracking works by means of an electromagnetic sensor in the needle tip, sensors attached to the transducer and a magnetic transmitter beside the patient The needle tip is marked electronically on the screen.
Conventional needle – Needle tip?
N+ indicates needle tip
- 30 procedures in mild/moderate hydronephrosis
- In 29/30 cases, needle insertion was correct in first pass
- No complications were observed
- Electromagnetic needle tracking is a feasible and safe method for US-guided nephrostomy
- Enables other routes of access than parallel with the scan plane